What are the functions of the production department of a company? The production department of a business is responsible for a lot of duties. But before we take a look at some of these numerous duties or functions, let us first find out what the production department is.
The production department in a business organization is that department which engages in the manufacturing or production of goods for the business organization. The production department is headed by the production manager. Other workers in this department include technicians, engineers, designers, machine operators etc.
The functions of the production department
There are so many functions of the production department. Below are some of the most common functions of this department:
- The production department manufactures goods for the business which are then sold in order to bring revenue for the business.
- The production department is also responsible for the designing of the goods or products of the business which are sold to other businesses or to the general public.
- Every aspect of production is controlled by the production department. By controlling production, the department efficiently uses things such as labor, machines and materials judiciously in order to prevent any wastage.
- The department improves on the products of the business by bringing changes and innovations.
- The production department makes sure that it produces goods or products at very low costs in order to maximize profit.
- The production department works in collaboration with the purchasing department of the company in order to make sure that materials needed for production are always available.
- The department also makes sure that the machines and equipments used in production are serviced and properly maintained all the time.
These are just some of the common duties or functions of a production department in a company.